LED Lighting and Conventional Lighting: Their Intriguing Differences
Light-emitting diode or LED is a more advanced and advantageous lighting option for your household and business. Like you, many consumers shift to using LED light rather than sticking to the traditional lighting bulb options like incandescent bulbs or CFLs. The main reason for this is because of their intriguing and striking differences like:
- In LED, light is produced by the movements of electrons housed in a semiconductor object. It uses protons thus making the LED lighting efficiency and efficacy better than any other conventional lighting options. LED’s advanced feature also makes it easier to maintain. It is shock proof and it does not use easy to break tubes and filaments. Incandescent bulbs and other conventional lightings, on the other hand, use fragile filaments and tubes that can easily break.
- LED light bulbs burns cooler. It produces a considerably small quantity of heat and this saves you from injury and also from fire accidents. While incandescent heat more and in fact uses 98% of its energy thus, you need to wait for a few minutes to cool it down before replacement.
- LEDs last longer.LED lights have longer life span for up to 100,000 hours and that is around 11 years of use. LEDs lighting quality slowly degrades after as few years or after 50,000 hours. Even so, using LED is more advantageous than using CFLs that can only last for up 10,000 hours or approximately more than a year of use; while incandescent bulbs only last for a mere 1,000 hours and that is around one and a half months of use.
- LEDs are energy-efficient. It uses lesser electricity for up to 50 to 90% while other lighting options consume more. LED’s lumen per watt is also higher up to 55 while incandescent is only about 15. The lumen is what determines the brightness of your light bulbs and having one LED light is equivalent to using 3 incandescent and this saves you from high monthly electric bills.
- LEDs are greener. Since high energy consumption damages the environment, using LED light bulbs saves energy and this helps you do your part in environmental protection. Aside from this, LED contains no harmful materials and elements while fluorescent uses mercury that is detrimental to your family’s health. Other lighting options also emit harmful rays like infrared and ultraviolet.
- LEDs are user-friendly. LEDs can be installed easily since they work well with most electric systems. Although LEDs cost more than conventional light bulbs, adding all the energy you save and its life span in fact gives you more savings. You are getting your money’s worth. While even you pay less for one bulb in conventional lighting options, you still need to endure unnecessary trips to buy replacement bulbs.